Where to Stay in Hvar: A Complete Guide (2024)
Hvar Island is a very popular holiday destination in Croatia, and also the terrific selection of where to stay in Hvar is phenomenal. No wonder, as this island boasts the most spectacular beaches, charming fishing villages, vibrant nightlife, delicious wine and wonderful historic old towns. With more than 300 kilometers of coastline, the island offers many fantastic places to stay, so the range of accommodation, apartments, and hotels on Hvar is absolutely unique. Almost a guarantee for an unforgettable vacation on Hvar. But what are the best places to stay on the island of Hvar, and what are the best tips for recommended hotels and accommodations?
In this travel guide, we have summarized our recommendation for the top accommodations, hotels, and apartments on Hvar Island in Croatia. In addition, we will give useful information and show which places in Hvar are the best spots for spending a perfect holiday on the island.
Hvar Town is the capital of the island, with a population of 4,200, and boasts a picturesque old town, beautiful beaches and the Pakleni Islands off the coast. The so-called Hell Islands are a popular place for swimming, as this group of islands offers some stunning bays. The range of amazing accommodation in Hvar Town is phenomenal for just that reason. But there are also numerous excellent places to swim directly in and around the town of Hvar, such as the popular town beaches of Bonj Beach and Lučica Beach. In addition, the dream beach Pokonji Dol is only a short distance from the center. However, the highlight of Hvar Town is the historic center with its iconic fortress, fabulously scenic alleys, the vibrant nightlife and picturesque waterfront.
In Hvar Town you will also find many of the best hotels on Hvar Island and some really nice accommodations for an unforgettable vacation. Especially if you want to combine sightseeing and nightlife with beach-time, then a charming apartment or hotel right in the historic center is highly recommended.
Best Places to Stay in Hvar Town:
- Luxury Hotel with Pool: The Palace Elisabeth is the only 5-star hotel on Hvar Island. This heritage hotel offers beautiful rooms and a gorgeous pool.
- Hotel with Spa: The Adriana Spa Hotel boasts a prime location right on the harbor, excellent breakfasts and beautiful rooms. A great hotel right in the center of Hvar Town.
- B&B with a View: The Guest House Vuljan offers beautiful rooms and stunning views over Hvar’s Old Town. This accommodation is centrally located, just above the historic center.
Pokonji Dol Beach
The bay Pokonji Dol is located about 2 kilometers from Hvar Town and is one of the most popular beaches in Hvar. This place is also a wonderful choice for a vacation on the island of Hvar, and so you can find many recommendable apartments around the bay. The sea at this dream beach is really clear and shines in the most amazing water colors. Families with children also love this sheltered stretch of coastline, which is ideal for swimming. Most of the accommodations are located a little above the bay and have the advantage of being within easy walking distance to the beach, but also to the city of Hvar.
The Pokonji Dol beach is an ideal starting point for a combination of enjoying sea and town in your vacation. Most of the places to stay in the area are apartments, which thanks to their location offer a magnificent view.
Best Places to Stay in Pokonji Dol, Hvar:
- Deluxe Vacation Apartment: The Deluxe Apartments Primi are just a short walk from the beach and offer fabulous vacation apartments with terrace and sea view.
- Apartments with View: The Apartments Luma offer beautiful rooms and fantastic views. Also here, you are in 5 minutes on the beach and in 15 minutes in the city.
- Rooms in the best Location: The Rooms & Studio Villa Fio are a real insider tip for a vacation! Guests love the chic rooms and the great location to the city and the sea!
The lovely town Jelsa is located on the north coast and is one of the most popular places to vacation on Hvar. With a lovely center right on the harbor, many restaurants and cafés, and an extremely picturesque ambience, this charming town attracts vacationers from all over the world. Due to its optimal location, you can reach magnificent beaches and breathtaking bays in scenic nature in a short time. The most popular beach is Mina Beach, which is just a few minutes walk from the harbor. By rental car or public bus, you can reach the most beautiful places of the island in no time.
Jelsa also offers a wide range of tourist facilities, including good apartments, guest houses and campsites. The restaurants and bars in Jelsa are located directly at the pretty harbor and provide a pleasant vacation atmosphere. All in all, Jelsa is one of the best places to stay in Hvar for a tranquil holiday at the beachside!
Best Places to Stay in Jelsa, Hvar:
- Charming Apartment: The Big Blue offers beautiful apartments in a perfect location with a wonderful view of the port city and the picturesque bay.
- B&B with Breakfast: The B&B Aurora is a really recommendable guesthouse with an excellent breakfast. The location is central and the beaches of Jelsa are nearby.
- Villa at the Harbor: The Villa Riva is located directly on the harbor of Jelsa, offers very tastefully furnished apartments, and the hospitality is also unique!
The romantic fishing village Vrboska is a real insider tip for a vacation on Hvar. Here you can enjoy an incredibly picturesque ambience, with a pretty harbor, many cozy restaurants, cafés and a large marina. Despite this, the place has remained quiet and very relaxed, perfect for those looking for an idyllic Hvar experience. In addition, you’ll find some wonderful swimming spots and superb beaches in the area around Vrboska. Particularly popular is the Soline beach with its large hotel complex, as well as the romantic Maslinica beach, which is considered one of the most beautiful beaches on the island of Hvar!
The location is also excellent for exploring the island by car. In addition, the apartments and accommodations are among the best on Hvar, and the most places to stay are very nice and comfortable. Thus, Vrboska is a really recommendable place for a vacation on Hvar.
Best Places to Stay in Vrboska, Hvar:
- Romantic Glamping: The Plage Cachée Glamping offers beautiful luxury tents with great attention to detail! Located directly on the beach, this special accommodation is truly unique.
- Fabulous Hotel: The Mediteran Hvar inspires with chic rooms and with the most beautiful view of the harbor. The breakfast offered is also phenomenal!
- Holiday House: The House Tia is a picturesque stone house right in the old town. This charming holiday home is completely new and has all you need.
A truly recommended spot to stay in Hvar is Milna in the south of the island. Located only 4 kilometers from Hvar town, this village is a little gem away from the hustle and bustle of the big resorts. Nightlife and parties are not to be found in Milna because this area is still wonderfully relaxed and quiet. In addition, several stunning pebble beaches with breathtaking sea colors invite you to swim, bathe and relax. The resort also has a small but excellent selection of good restaurants and cafés, most of which offer a magnificent view of the coast.
Milna is also home to some of the best places for where to stay in Hvar. Most of the accommodations are vacation apartments, which score points for their quiet location. Especially, connoisseurs and individualists will find their holiday happiness in this unique place.
Best Places to Stay in Milna, Hvar:
- Apartment with View: The Apartment House Solis offers modern and super equipped apartments in a central location directly on the sea and with a wonderful view of the bay.
- Cheap Studio Apartment: Highly recommended are the reasonably priced Apartment Vesna. The studio apartments offer great sea views and are near to the best beaches.
- Apartment in the best Location: The beautiful Apartments Dida convince with the perfect location near all restaurants and the beach!
Stari Grad Hvar
Another nice place to spend your holidays on Hvar is the “Old Town” Stari Grad Hvar. It was founded in 384 B.C. and is one of the oldest cities in Croatia. A walk through the old town is like a journey through time, and so there is something nice to discover on every corner. Also picturesque is the long waterfront, with its many pretty cafés and restaurants. Due to the central location, the harbor town is ideal for island exploration tours. Moreover, in Stari Grad Hvar you will find some really nice accommodations and also a fancy hotel has settled a bit outside the village.
Best Places to Stay in Stari Grad, Hvar:
- Charming Apartment: The Apartment Primorac is a charming apartment located in a typical stone house directly in the alleys of the old town of Stari Grad.
- Chic Hotel: The beautiful Hotel Antica is one of the best hotels in Stari Grad. It convinces with delicious breakfast and a wonderful ambience.
- Heritage Hotel: The B&B Heritage Villa Apolon is a real insider tip! Guests love the ambience, the grandiose cuisine and the large rooms.
The village Ivan Dolac is located on the south coast of the island, about 10 kilometers from Jelsa and 20 kilometers from Stari Grad. Through a tunnel, you reach this particularly picturesque part of the island, where some of the most beautiful bays are located. Dream beaches such as Sveta Nedilja, Zucica Beach and Jagodna Beach can be easily reached from this part of the island. The place itself is very quiet, but still offers a small supermarket and a few restaurants. Most accommodations are just steps away from the crystal clear sea. A wonderful area to stay for an unforgettable visit to Hvar.
Best Places to Stay in Ivan Dolac, Hvar:
- Apartment by the Sea: The Apartments Dunja offer vacation apartments of various sizes. Especially great is the equipment and the location directly on the sea!
- Apartments on the Beach: Accommodation On the Beach Ivan Dolac scores with simple but clean apartments in a unique location directly on the beach
- Romantic Cottage: The Kuća za odmor Lucija is a small cottage with a garden and also the large balcony with sea view is a dream.
Sveta Nedilja is, with only 130 inhabitants, one of the smallest villages on the southern coast of the island Hvar. Directly below the village are some very stunning pebble beaches and bays, such as the Skala beach, which is actually one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. The resort is really tranquil, yet you will find a bakery, a small supermarket and restaurants. In addition, Sveta Nedija convinces its visitors with some great accommodations and apartments, in a perfect setting directly by the sea. Thanks to its secluded location, the village is perfect for a quiet vacation, but for island exploration tours you have to drive a little further.
Best Places to Stay in Sveta Nedilja, Hvar:
- Modern Apartment: The REDSTONE luxury Apartments offer modern and large apartments with a great terrace near the sea.
- Apartments in quiet Location: The Apartments Berti is a recommendable accommodation in a central and quiet location. The beach is also accessible via a footpath.
- Apartment by the Sea: The Villa Pod Borom is a great accommodation for relaxing vacations on Hvar! The whole complex is beautiful and also the location by the sea is brilliant.
More about Hvar Island:
Read more about Croatia
Split | Dubrovnik | Pula | Zagreb | Krk | Zadar | Rovinj | Istria | Dalmatia | Makarska | Brac | Porec | Trogir | Sibenik | Korcula | Crikvenica | Rijeka | Opatija | Rab | Murter | Primosten | Umag | Medulin | Vodice | Vir | Nin | Biograd | Omis | Novigrad | Vrsar | Ugljan | Pasman | Senj | Rabac | Dugi Otok | Solta | Cavtat | Croatia
Where to stay in Croatia
Where to stay in Zagreb | Where to stay in Split | Where to stay in Dubrovnik | Where to stay in Zadar | Where to stay in Rovinj | Where to stay in Pula | Where to stay in Korcula | Where to stay in Makarska
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.