Where to Stay in Hvar: A Complete Guide (2022)
Hvar Island is a very popular holiday destination in Croatia and also the terrific selection of where to stay in Hvar is phenomenal. No wonder, because this island attracts with the most spectacular beaches, charming fishing villages, vibrant nightlife, delicious wine and historic old towns. On more than 300 kilometers of coastline, the island offers many fantastic places to stay and so is the range of accommodation, apartments and hotels on Hvar unique. Almost a guarantee for unforgettable holiday to Hvar. So where are actually the ultimate best places to stay on Hvar Island, and what are the best tips for recommended hotels and accommodation?
In this travel guide we have summarized our recommendation for the top accommodations, hotels and apartments on Hvar Island in Croatia. In addition, we will give useful information and show which places in Hvar are the best spot for spending a perfect holiday on the island.
The city Hvar Town is with around 4,200 inhabitants the capital of the island and amazes with a picturesque old town and the offshore Pakleni Islands. The so-called “hell islands” are a popular spot for boat trips, as the island group of about 20 islands offers some really beautiful bays and beaches. But also directly in and around Hvar town there are some excellent possibilities for swimming, such as the popular city beaches Bonj Beach and the beach Lučica. On top, the dream beach Pokonji Dol is only a short distance away. The highlight of Hvar city is the picturesque city center with its fortress, the fabulously beautiful streets, the vibrant nightlife and the picturesque waterfront.
Hvar Town is one of the best places to stay on Hvar. Here you will find some excellent hotels and other really lovely accommodations, wonderful beaches and islands around. Additionally, Hvar Town is the best place to stay for nightlife and party.
Best Places to Stay in Hvar Town:
- Luxury Hotel with Pool: The Palace Elisabeth is the only 5-star hotel on Hvar Island. This heritage hotel offers beautiful rooms and a gorgeous pool.
- Hotel with Spa: The Adriana Spa Hotel boasts a prime location right on the harbor, excellent breakfasts and beautiful rooms. A great hotel right in the center of Hvar Town.
- B&B with a View: The Guest House Vuljan offers beautiful rooms and stunning views over Hvar’s Old Town. This accommodation is centrally located, just above the historic center.
Pokonji Dol Beach
The bay Pokonji Dol is located about 2 kilometers from Hvar town and belongs to one of the best beaches in Hvar. This place is actually an excellent choice for a perfect vacation on Hvar. The sea here is really clear and shines in the most beautiful sea colors. Most of the places to stay are located a little above the bay and have the advantage that you can quickly get to the beach on foot, but also in a short time in Hvar town. An optimal starting point if you want to combine sea and city during your vacation. Most of the accommodations near Pokonji Dol beach are apartments, which, thanks to their location, enchants with a partly brilliant view.
Best Places to Stay in Pokonji Dol, Hvar:
- Deluxe Vacation Apartment: The Deluxe Apartments Primi are just a short walk from the beach and offer fabulous vacation apartments with terrace and sea view.
- Apartments with View: The Apartments Luma offer beautiful rooms and fantastic views. Also here, you are in 5 minutes on the beach and in 15 minutes in the city.
- Rooms in best Location: The Rooms & Studio Villa Fio are a real insider tip for a vacation! Guests love the chic rooms and the great location to the city and the sea!
The lovely town Jelsa is located on the north coast and is one of the most popular places for where to stay in Hvar. With a charming center right on the harbor, many restaurants and cafes and a very picturesque ambience, the pretty destination attracts visitors from all over the world. Due to its optimal location, you can reach amazing bays and beautiful beaches in short time. Popular is the city beach Mina, which is accessible from the harbor in a few minutes. The tourist offer is also varied in Jelsa and so you can find good vacation homes, B&Bs, guesthouses and apartments as well as great campsites. All in all, Jelsa is one of the best places to stay in Hvar for a tranquil holiday at the beach side!
Best Places to Stay in Jelsa, Hvar:
- Charming Apartment: The Big Blue offers beautiful apartments in a perfect location with a wonderful view of the port city and the picturesque bay.
- B&B with Breakfast: The B&B Aurora is a really recommendable guesthouse with excellent breakfast. The location is central and the beaches of Jelsa are within walking distance.
- Villa at the Harbor: The Villa Riva is located directly on the harbor of Jelsa, offers very tastefully furnished apartments, and the hospitality is also unique!
The romantic fishing village Vrboska is a real insider tip among Hvar travellers. Here you will enjoy an incredibly picturesque ambience, with a pretty harbor, many cozy restaurants, cafes and a great marina. Nevertheless, the place is quiet and very relaxed. In addition, you will find in the area around Vrboska some wonderful bays and beautiful beaches. Such as the Maslinica Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island.
The location to explore the island by car is also excellent. On top of that, the places to stay are among the best on Hvar, many accommodations there are beautiful and offer high comfort. Thus, Vrboska is a truly recommendable place for a vacation on Hvar.
Best Places to Stay in Vrboska, Hvar:
- Romantic Glamping: The Plage Cachée Glamping offers beautiful luxury tents with great attention to detail! Located directly on the beach, this special accommodation is truly unique.
- Fabulous Hotel: The Mediteran Hvar inspires with chic rooms and with the most beautiful view of the harbor. The breakfast offered is also phenomenal!
- Holiday House: The House Tia is a picturesque stone house right in the old town. This charming holiday home is completely new and has all you need.
Another recommended spot to stay in Hvar is Milna. The small village is located only 4 kilometers from Hvar town and is a little gem away from the hustle and bustle. There is no nightlife and no party, but therefore it is here wonderfully relaxed and quiet. Here are 4 beautiful pebble beaches for swimming and relaxing. The town of Milna was actually built from the old settlement Malo Grablje, which is located about 2 km inland and can be reached by a lovely walk. At the resort itself you will find a small selection of restaurants and cafes. You can also find some of the best places to stay on Hvar here in the resort. Most of the accommodations are apartments, which inspire with a quiet location.
Best Places to Stay in Milna, Hvar:
- Apartment with View: The Apartment House Solis offers modern and super equipped apartments in a central location directly on the sea and with a wonderful view of the bay.
- Cheap Studio Apartment: Highly recommended are the reasonably priced Apartment Vesna. The studio apartments offer great sea views and are near of the best beaches.
- Apartment in best Location: The beautiful Apartments Dida convince with the perfect location near all restaurants and the beach!
The village Ivan Dolac is located on the south coast of the island, about 10 kilometers from Jelsa and 20 kilometers from Stari Grad. Through a tunnel you reach this particularly picturesque part of the island, where some of the most beautiful bays are located. Dream beaches such as Sveta Nedilja, Zucica Beach and Jagodna Beach can be easily reached from this part of the island. The place itself is very quiet, but still offers a small supermarket and a few restaurants. Most accommodations are just steps away from the crystal clear sea. A wonderful area to stay for an unforgettable visit to Hvar.
Best Places to Stay in Ivan Dolac, Hvar:
- Apartment by the Sea: The Apartments Dunja offer vacation apartments of various sizes. Especially great is the equipment and the location directly on the sea!
- Apartments on the Beach: Accommodation On the Beach Ivan Dolac scores with simple but clean apartments in a unique location directly on the beach
- Romantic Cottage: The Kuća za odmor Lucija is a small cottage with a garden and also the large balcony with sea view is a dream.
Another nice place to spend your holidays on Hvar is the “Old Town” Stari Grad Hvar. It was founded 384 B.C. and is one of the oldest cities in Croatia. A walk through the old town is like a journey through time and so there is something nice to discover on every corner. Also picturesque is the long waterfront, with its many pretty cafes and restaurants. Due to the central location, the harbor town is ideal for island exploration tours. Moreover, in Stari Grad Hvar you will find some really nice accommodations and also a fancy hotel has settled a bit outside of the village.
Best Places to Stay in Stari Grad, Hvar:
- Charming Apartment: The Apartment Primorac is a charming apartment located in a typical stone house directly in the alleys of the old town of Stari Grad.
- Chic Hotel: The beautiful Hotel Antica is one of the best hotels in Stari Grad. It convinces with delicious breakfast and a wonderful ambience.
- Heritage Hotel: The B&B Heritage Villa Apolon is a real insider tip! Guests love the ambience, the grandiose cuisine and the large rooms.
Sveta Nedilja is with only 130 inhabitants one of the smallest villages on the southern coast of the island Hvar. Directly below the village are some very stunning pebble beaches and bays, such as the Skala beach, which is actually one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. The resort is really tranquil, yet you will find a bakery, a small supermarket and restaurants. In addition, Sveta Nedija convinces its visitors with some great accommodations and apartments, in a perfect setting directly by the sea. Thanks to its secluded location, the village is perfect for a quiet vacation, but for island exploration tours you have to drive a little further.
Best Places to Stay in Sveta Nedilja, Hvar:
- Modern Apartment: The REDSTONE luxury Apartments offer modern and large apartments with a great terrace near the sea.
- Apartments in quiet Location: The Apartments Berti are a recommendable accommodation in a central and quiet location. The beach is also accessible via a footpath.
- Apartment by the Sea: The Villa Pod Borom is a great accommodation for relaxing vacations on Hvar! The whole complex is beautiful and also the location by the sea is brilliant.
More about Hvar Island:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.