Where to Stay in Hvar: Best Places for Holidays
Hvar Island is a very popular holiday destination in Croatia. No wonder, because this island attracts with the most spectacular beaches, charming fishing villages, vibrant nightlife, delicious wine and historic old towns. On more than 300 kilometers of coastline, the island offers many fantastic places to stay and so is the range of accommodation, apartments and hotels on Hvar unique. Almost a guarantee for unforgettable holiday to Hvar. But where to stay in Hvar, where are the best places, areas and beaches?
In this travel guide we have summarized our recommendation for the top accommodations, hotels and apartments on Hvar Island. In addition, we will give useful information and show which places in Hvar are the best spot for spending a perfect holiday.
Best Hotels, Areas & Beaches in Hvar
The city Hvar Town is with around 4,200 inhabitants the capital of the island and amazes with a picturesque old town and the offshore Pakleni Islands. The so-called “hell islands” are a popular spot for boat trips, as the island group of about 20 islands offers some really beautiful bays and beaches. But also directly in and around Hvar town there are some excellent possibilities for swimming, such as the popular city beaches Bonj Beach and the beach Lučica. On top, the dream beach Pokonji Dol is only a short distance away. The highlight of Hvar city is the picturesque city center with its fortress, the fabulously beautiful streets, the vibrant nightlife and the picturesque waterfront.
Hvar Town is one of the best places to stay on Hvar. Here you will find some excellent hotels and other really lovely accommodations, wonderful beaches and islands around. Additionally, Hvar Town is the best place to stay for nightlife and party.
- Luxury Hotel: The Palace Elisabeth is the only 5-star hotel on Hvar island. This heritage hotel opened in 2019 and offers beautiful rooms and a gorgeous pool. All this in the best location of the city. A really recommendable hotel for a very special holiday to Hvar.
- Spa Hotel: The Adriana Spa Hotel boasts a prime location right on the harbor, excellent breakfasts and beautiful rooms. A great hotel right in the center of Hvar Town.
- Apartment: The Villa Malisko offers its guests modern apartments with spacious balconies overlooking the sea. Parking is free here in front of the house and, because of the great location you are within 5 minutes’ walk in the old town.
- B&B: The Guest House Vuljan offers beautiful rooms and stunning views over Hvar’s Old Town. This accommodation is centrally located, just above the historic center of Hvar.
Pokonji Dol Beach (Near Hvar Town)
The bay Pokonji Dol is located about 2 kilometers from Hvar town and belongs to one of the best beaches in Hvar. Here, the sea is very clear and shines in the most beautiful blue sea colors. Most of the apartments are located just above the bay and have the big advantage that you can quickly reach the beach, but also to get in a short time to Hvar town. So, it is the perfect place to stay in Hvar to connect dream beach and old town.
- Apartment: The Deluxe Apartments Primi are only a short walk from Pokonji Dol beach and offer beautiful apartments with terrace and stunning sea views.
- Apartments: The Apartments Luma offer beautiful rooms and fantastic views. Again here, you are in 5 minutes on the beach and in 15 minutes in the city.
The lovely town Jelsa is located on the north coast and is one of the most popular places to spend your holidays to Hvar. With a center right on the harbor, many restaurants and cafes and a very picturesque ambience, the pretty destination attracts visitors from all over the world. Due to its optimal location, you can reach amazing bays and beautiful beaches in short time. Popular is the city beach Mina, which is accessible from the harbor in a few minutes. Also the touristic infrastructure in Jelsa is great and so you will find here in addition to good apartments and holiday houses also fantastic campsites. All in all, Jelsa is one of the best places to stay in Hvar for a tranquil holiday at the beach side!
- Apartment: The Big Blue offers beautiful apartments in a perfect location with a wonderful view of the port city and the picturesque bay.
- B&B: The B&B Aurora is a really recommendable guest house with excellent breakfast. The location is central and so all major attractions and the beaches of Jelsa are within walking distance.
The romantic fishing village Vrboska is a real insider tip among Hvar travellers. Here you will enjoy an incredibly picturesque ambience, with a pretty harbor, many cozy restaurants, cafes and a great marina. Nevertheless, the place is quiet and very relaxed. In addition, you will find in the area around Vrboska some wonderful bays and beautiful beaches. Such as the Maslinica Beach, one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. If you have a car, the location is perfect to explore the island. Another plus is that apartments here are quite cheap. In case you are looking for an authentic holiday on Hvar for sure Vrboska is one of the best places to stay.
- Glamping: The Plage Cachée – Glamping offers its guests beautiful luxury tents with great attention to detail! Located directly on the beach, this special accommodation is a true place of rest, peace and solitude. A really nice glamping spot for a unique holiday on Hvar.
- Apartment: The Apartment Amula is a really great accommodation with the most beautiful view of the old town and the harbor. This apartment is clean, really comfortable and a really budget alternative.
- Holiday House: The House Tia is a picturesque stone house right in the old town. This charming holiday home is completely new and has all you need.
Another recommended spot to stay in Hvar is Milna. The small village is located only 4 kilometers from Hvar town and is a little gem away from the hustle and bustle. There is no nightlife and no party, but therefore it is here wonderfully relaxed and quiet. Here are 4 beautiful pebble beaches for swimming and relaxing. The town of Milna was actually built from the old settlement Malo Grablje, which is located about 2 km inland and can be reached by a lovely walk. At the resort itself you will find a small selection of restaurants and cafes. There are also good accommodations to spend a perfect holiday. Milna is a beautiful place to stay for a really quiet holiday on Hvar.
- Apartment: The Apartment House Solis offers modern and super equipped apartments in a central location directly on the sea and with a wonderful view of the bay.
- Studio Apartment: Highly recommended are the reasonably priced Apartment Vesna. The studio apartments offer great sea views and are within walking distance of the best beaches in Milna.
The village Ivan Dolac is located on the south coast of the island, about 10 kilometers from Jelsa and 20 kilometers from Stari Grad. Through a tunnel you reach this particularly picturesque part of the island, where some of the most beautiful bays are located. Dream beaches such as Sveta Nedilja, Zucica Beach and Jagodna Beach can be easily reached from this part of the island. The place itself is very quiet, but still offers a small supermarket and a few restaurants. Most accommodations are just steps away from the crystal clear sea. A wonderful area to stay for an unforgettable visit to Hvar.
- Apartment: The Apartments Dunja offer various apartments of all sizes. Especially the excellent facilities and the location directly on the sea make this accommodation highly recommended.
- Apartments: The beautiful Antun Apartments are located 100 meters from the sea and are well located near a bakery and a restaurant.
Sveta Nedilja is with only 130 inhabitants one of the smallest villages on the southern coast of the island Hvar. Below the village are some very recommendable pebble beaches and bays, such as the Skala beach, which is one of the most beautiful beaches on the island. In addition, Sveta Nedija convinces its visitors with some great accommodations and apartments in a perfect setting right on the sea. Although the village is small, there is still a bakery, a small supermarket and restaurants. Since Sveta Nedilja is rather remote, the place is perfect for a very relaxing beach holiday. For island exploration by car you must expect longer distances.
- Apartment: The REDSTONE luxury Apartments offer modern and large apartments with a great terrace near the sea.
- Apartments: Apartments Berti are a recommended accommodation in a central and quiet location. The apartments are well equipped, and the beach is accessible via a footpath.
Another nice place to spend your holidays on Hvar is the “Old Town” Stari Grad Hvar. It was founded 384 B.C. and is one of the oldest cities in Croatia. A walk through the old town is like a journey through time and so there is something nice to discover on every corner. Also picturesque is the long waterfront, with its many pretty cafes and restaurants. Due to the central location, the harbor town is ideal for island exploration tours.
- Apartment: The Apartment Primorac is a very charming apartment right in the alleys of the old town of Stari Grad. This property is set in a typical stone house and offers a cozy atmosphere.
- Hotel: The beautiful Hotel Antica is one of the best hotels in Stari Grad. It is located about 20 minutes’ walk from the old town and convinces with delicious breakfast and a wonderful ambience.
Conclusion: Hvar Island offers a great selection of accommodation, amazing beaches and authentic old towns – a really great place to spend your holidays in Croatia. More about the island, the best things to do and most beautiful places and beaches can be found here in our island Hvar travel guide!
More about Hvar Island:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.