Primosten, Croatia: All About a Perfect Visit
The picturesque town Primosten lies on the Dalmatian coast and is one of the most popular tourist destinations in Croatia. The former fishing village delights with its romantic old town, interesting attractions, lovely accommodations and unforgettable activities as well as great excursion possibilities in the area of Primosten. Strolling along the picturesque waterfront, you can enjoy an incomparable ambiance and at the same time find delicious restaurants, bakeries and colorful shops. Also, the beaches of Primosten are a real highlight and guarantee the best holiday enjoyment.
In this Travel Guide you will find useful information and insider tips for an unforgettable holiday. We also show the most beautiful beaches and things to do in Primosten and share with you our experiences and pictures.
Things to do in Primosten
When staying in this beautiful holiday region, you can experience a variety of memorable activities. Here are the best attractions and excursions in Primosten, that shouldn`t be missed at any trip to Dalmatia.
Exploring the Old Town
In the alleys of the old town of Primosten, on almost every corner you will find something nice to discover. The best way to start the city tour through this very charming Dalmatian town is at the old city gate. The old town was once on an island and was then connected via a bridge, later via a dam with the mainland. After that, the picturesque stone gate was built as the entrance to the old town.
Next walk from the main square uphill through the Galerija, past pretty boutiques and delicious restaurants. Here you can admire the ancient stone houses and take beautiful pictures of the wonderful architectures. Even the weather is not that amazing, a walk through the old town is still a recommended activity for your holiday.
Church of St. George
At the top, at the most beautiful point of the old town, you reach the Church of St. George (Sveti Juraj) built in 1485. This romantic place is one of the most beautiful settings to visit in Primosten and should be on the top of every travel list. Especially recommended is a trip there in the evening, the mood and the views at sunset is unbeatable.
On the left side of the old town next to the beach Luka, there is a small harbor. Here you have a beautiful view of the boats swaying in the sea and the picturesque historic buildings around. Nearby, every morning there is a fish market and daily the fruit and vegetable market.
Incredibly idyllic and one of the best things to do in Primosten is to walk the approximately 30-minute loop around the old town. Here you can stroll along the coast, marvel at the deep blue sea and the steep cliffs. If you feel like swimming, take a stop at the beach Garbina, one of the most beautiful beaches of Primosten.
Our Lady Of Loretto Statue
One of the best things to do in Primosten is a visit to the Our Lady Of Loretto statue, also known as Gospa od Loreta. It was completed in 2017 and is one of the b of the best attractions in the region. You can reach this approximately 17-meter-high statue of the Virgin Mary either by car via a gravel road or by a short 60-minute hike from the old town. From the top you will enjoy the most spectacular views of Primosten, the picturesque landscape, the coast and the deep blue sea. An absolute must if you are looking for the best viewpoints in the region.
In addition, from the top you have a wonderful view of the Marina Kremik. This marina is beautifully situated in a picturesque bay surrounded by vineyards. Here is the place where the famous Babic wine grows.
Beaches in Primosten
Not only the old town and the many attractions delight the visitors, also the beautiful beaches of Primosten are just amazing. While swimming in the crystal-clear sea you always enjoy an incredibly beautiful scenery with the historic town in the backdrop. Here are the best places for swimming and snorkeling in Primosten:
The main beach of Primosten is the Mala Raduca, which is picturesquely located directly at the old town. With its fine gravel, the incredibly beautiful blue watercolors and the view of the peninsula, it is one of the absolute best beaches in town. Behind the Mala Raduca is the beach promenade, where you can find plenty restaurants, cafes, bars and shopping possibilities.
The Velika Raduca is located on the north side of the Raduca peninsula and is the longest beach in Primosten. This bay is ideal for families with children. Here you will find a wide range of entertainment such as beach bars, water trampolines, pedal boats and many more water activities.
Dagna Beach & Bau Bar
A really lovely hidden bay is the beach Dagna. It is located a bit from the old town and can be reached in about 15 minutes’ walk. The bay is marvelous and shines in the most beautiful colors of the sea. The legendary Bau Bar, a beach bar directly at the Dagna Bay is overlooking the sea and provides a truly cozy ambience.
Porat Bay & Beach June
The two beaches Porat and June are located about 2 kilometers from the old town and offer a quiet beach ambience. Especially the views of Primosten are unbeatable. At these beach sections you should take your own food, because there are no bars and restaurants yet.
Tip: We have summarized the best bays and most beautiful places for swimming here among the most beautiful beaches in Primosten.
Excursions around Primosten
Primosten is one of the best starting points to explore the Dalmatian coast, therefore you will have the opportunity to visit some of the most important Croatian sights and national parks during your holiday. Here are the most beautiful attractions and sights worthwhile for a half-day tour or full day excursion:
- Sibenik: The town Sibenik is an UNESCO World Heritage Site and located around 28 kilometers from Primosten. On an excursion a visit to the old fortress and the Cathedral of Saint James is a must do. Through the many magnificent old places some of the film scenes of Game of Thrones had been filmed here.
- Krka Waterfalls: A beautiful nature spectacle are the Krka waterfalls at the Krka National Park, which are only about 30 kilometers from Primosten away. Here you can hike through a unique ecosystem and even take a bath at the main waterfall.
- Trogir: The UNESCO World Heritage Site Trogir is a popular tourist destination not far from Primosten. This historic city is about 30 kilometers away and offers some really interesting attractions in the old town. Perfect for a half day trip.
- Split: Beautiful and well worth seeing is the world-famous old town of Split. The Diocletian’s Palace and the medieval Split are UNESCO World Heritage Sites and the highlights of this port city. From Primosten to Split it is about 60 kilometers drive.
- Zadar: Although 110 kilometers away, the beautiful old town of Zadar is also worth a visit. Here is the place where the famous Sea Organ creates sounds by the waves of the ocean.
In Primosten there are some lovely places for shopping. For that you either visit the beach promenade, or you stroll through the alleys of the old town. Of course, you will find in the city some supermarkets and bakeries, where self-catering can wonderfully stock up with everything needed.
Tip: Right in front of the old town, at the “Legends Pub” every morning a small fish market takes place. If you fancy fresh fruit, you will find it at the colorful fruit stalls nearby.
Restaurants & Bars
In Primosten you will find a large selection of konobas, the typical restaurants in Croatia. Most restaurants and cafes are located along the waterfront, but also in the winding streets of the old town of Primosten, there are some yummy places where you can eat really delicious dalmatian food.
Where to stay in Primosten
Primosten offers a wide range of hotels, apartments and private accommodation. Some of these accommodations are located right in the historic old town, but also along the waterfront and around the center there are many places to stay. Here we have summarized our recommendations for best places to stay in Primosten:
- B&B: The Mincheta is a charming guest house with lovely rooms on the town square in front of the peninsula. Due to the wonderful location you are quickly at every corner of the old town.
- Apartments: The Apartments Jerko are in a top location on the beach, close to restaurants and right in front of the old town of Primosten.
- Apartments: Apartments Rupe is a cheap and very good accommodation just outside the old town. In a pleasant quiet location, you are still in a few minutes’ walk in the center.
- Holiday Home: A truly unique accommodation in Primosten is the Holiday Home Primabella. The beautifully furnished house is located in the middle of the beautiful old town and impresses with an extraordinary terrace and with great attention to detail.
Find the best Accommodation in Primosten:
More about Croatia:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.