Where to stay in Bangkok: Top 7 Areas & Places
Due to the huge size of Bangkok, you will find a great selection of hotels and accommodations in the Thai capital. But where to stay in Bangkok, what area is best and which places should you choose? With an almost unmanageable selection of cool neighborhoods, the decision is often not that easy. Whether it’s sightseeing, the nightlife or shopping, everyone has their own preferences. To make the decision a little easier, we came up with a list of the most popular areas in the Thai metropolis and the advantages of the respective area. We also show you a variety of recommended hotels, guesthouses and hostels. From affordable backpacker hostels to unique accommodations at the river or a fantastic hotel with pool and roof terrace, for sure anyone will find their perfect place to stay in Bangkok!
In this guide you will find the best accommodations and hotels in Bangkok, as well as the coolest areas for your future stay in Bangkok. We also provide useful tips and a lot of additional information, perfect for planning your trip!
Sukhumvit is one of the most modern districts in Bangkok and famous for its exciting nightlife with trendy clubs, the gigantic shopping centers and the many great and beautiful hotels. Here you will find countless restaurants, pubs and sky bars, as well as the famous red-light street Soi Cowboy and the Nana Plaza, which is located in a small part of this district. The shopping centers, such as the noble EM-Quartier and the mega-cool Terminal 21, which has dedicated its many floors to different countries around the world, are really worth visiting. The optimal connection to the Skytrain (BTS) and subway (MRT) makes it easy to explore the city!
Attractions in Sukhumvit
If you stay in Sukhumvit, there are some interesting things to see in this part of the city. We recommend the Terminal 21 shopping center, Octave-Skybar, EM-Quartier Shopping-Center, Baan Kamthieng House Museum, Museum of Science & Planetarium, Rama IX Park and Benjakitti Park.
+ top hotels in all price ranges, good skytrain & MRT connection, great places to do some shopping, international restaurants & bars
Best places to stay:
- Luxury 5-star Hotel: The Hyatt Regency Bangkok Sukhumvit is a fantastic 5-star hotel with sensational breakfast, an ingenious sky bar and wonderful rooms.
- 4-star Hotel: The Novotel Bangkok Sukhumvit 20 delights with a great sky bar, very good breakfast and a wonderful pool!
- Board: The pretty Hide and Seek Boutique Hometel convinces with great rooms, the proximity to the BTS station and a good breakfast.
Bangkok Old Town
The old town of Bangkok, known as Rattanakosin, is located in the north of Chinatown along the Chao Phraya River and it is the best area to stay in Bangkok for sightseeing. This district is famous for its innumerable beautiful temples and the many historical buildings. Life is a lot more authentic here than in the modern districts and so you can find many typical Thai restaurants, shops and food stalls in the old town. There are also many accommodations in all price ranges in this district of Bangkok. If you choose your accommodation here, you will have many of the most important historical sights just around the corner. A highly recommended area for people who would like to explore the city’s magnificent temples and palaces in more detail.
Attractions in the Old Town:
An overnight stay in the old town of Bangkok has the advantage that there are many highlights in your immediate vicinity. These include the Royal Palace with the impressive Wat Phra Kaew, Wat Pho, Wat Mahathat, Wat Saket, the National Gallery and many more!
+ countless historical sights, the most beautiful temples of Bangkok, many traditional locations and food stalls, great for sightseeing
Best places to stay:
- 4-star Hotel: The Riva Arun Bangkok enchants with a wonderful location at the Chao Phraya River and with a breathtaking view of the Wat Arun temple.
- Heritage Hotel: The 1905 Heritage Corner is a wonderful place to stay in the old town of Bangkok. This charming hotel is beautifully furnished and close to many major attractions.
- Backpacker Hostel: The Issara by D hostel is very quiet. The roof terrace with a roof and a fantastic view of the temple complex is particularly cool here.
Silom is one of the city’s main financial districts, but also home to some of Bangkok’s best hotels and great restaurants. Here you live in one of the most modern parts of Bangkok, surrounded by mighty skyscrapers, the beautiful Lumpini Park and many shopping centers. Some of the most spectacular sky bars around Silom have also been opened in this area. A visit to the Hangover Skybar in the Lebua State Tower, probably the most famous rooftop bar in Bangkok, is highly recommended. This district is connected to the Skytrain (BTS) and the underground network (MRT), so you can quickly get to many important corners of the city.
Attractions in Silom
The district of Silom offers some really amazing things to do. These include Lumpini Park, probably the most famous city park in Bangkok. The Snake Farm and the Indian Sri Maha Mariamman Temple are also worth seeing and very special. Another highlight is the many rooftop bars in Bangkok, such as the famous Banyan Tree, the King Power Mahanakhon and the Lebua State Tower with the famous Hangover Skybar.
+ Good skytrain & subway connection, the best skybars, nice parks to relax
Best places to stay:
- 4-star Hotel: The ingenious and reasonably priced Amara Bangkok Hotel has a breathtaking sky bar with pool, from where you can enjoy an incredibly beautiful view of the skyline.
- 3-star Hotel: The Simply Sleep Hotel is a very new and affordable hotel. The decor is modern and cozy and you get your money’s worth.
- Hostel: The Kinnon Deluxe Hostel Coworking Cafe is a beautifully located hostel with great breakfast and great dormitories.
Khao San Road & Rambuttri Road
Probably the most famous district in Bangkok and one of the most popular areas for backpackers is Khao San Road in Banglamphu. Not only the backpacker scene meets here, which is why in addition to the cheap hostels a large number of good and inexpensive guest houses and small hotels have settled around the Khao San Road. In this area you will be close to many attractions and some of the most important sights of Bangkok are only a stone’s throw away. There is also a huge selection of restaurants and bars here. If you like, you can party in the lively Khao San Road in the evening. If you prefer a quiet place however, you can stroll through the somewhat chilled Soi Rambuttri – which is parallel to the party mile.
The approximately 400-meter-long Khao San Road is now a cult! Of course, you will meet many tourists here, but also Thais come here to party. If you like it quiet, you should not live directly on Khao San Road, but rather in one of the many quiet streets nearby!
Attractions near Khao San Road:
Around Khao San Road are some of the best things to do in Bangkok, such as the Royal Palace and Wat Phra Kaew. Also the famous Wat Pho, the interesting National Museum, Wat Mahatat, Wat Saket and the Democracy Monument are in the vicinity of Khao San Road and are easily accessible from there.
+ best place to stay to enjoy the nightlife, good restaurants & bars, many attractions nearby, cheap and good accommodations
Best places to stay:
- Hostel: Backpackers are thrilled with the BED STATION Hostel Khaosan. Super modern and clean hostel near Khao San Road with a nice pool and pool table!
- 3-star Hotel: The affordable Ibis Styles Bangkok Khaosan Viengtai impresses with its great location in the middle of the Khaosan area. The rooms are modern and quiet and the breakfast is delicious.
- 4-star Hotel: The Villa De Khaosan by Chillax is a recommended accommodation just a 5 minutes’ walk from Khao San Road. The highlights are the rooftop pool and the good price-performance ratio.
Riverside – Bangkok by the river
When you are planning to stay at Bangkok Riverside, then you will probably enjoy one of the most attractive areas. Here, on the Chao Phraya, there are glittering temples and palaces, fascinating markets and also wonderful hotels for un unforgettable stay in Bangkok. At any time of the day you can experience a unique spectacle: during the day you can observe a hustle and bustle, in the evening you can admire the glittering and shining temples. Take the ferry up and down the river and explore some of the best sights and neighborhoods in the city.
If you are looking for a very special place to stay, you will find some of the best hotels in Bangkok in this area. There are great 5-star hotels, but also wonderful boutique hotels.
+ some of the best hotels, fantastic atmosphere, easy access via express boats, great for sightseeing
Best places to stay:
- Hotel at the River: The small hotel Riva Arun Bangkok has a wonderful location near the Chao Phraya River with a breathtaking view of the beautiful Wat Arun.
- 5-star Hotel: The Peninsula Bangkok is a mega 5-star hotel that fulfils all your desires. Here, among other things, the brilliant location is convincing and the spacious pool ensures maximum relaxation after the city tour.
- 5-star Hotel: The Avani+ Riverside Bangkok Hotel delights its guests with an incredible view of the Bangkok skyline. The rooftop pool is amazing and the breakfast is fantastic too.
Chinatown in Bangkok is a real highlight and actually close to everything. This district is colorful, chaotic and exotic and offers plenty of street food as well as some really cool accommodations. When staying in this district you will find a variety of boutique hotels, but also really great and cheap hostels for backpackers. Chinatown is also located directly at the river, which gives the district an extra great touch. The two new subway stations, which will take you to the modern part of Bangkok quickly, are also an advantage. Also the express boats take you to various parts of the city.
Chinatown is an ideal starting point to visit the old town as well as the new town and the main train station is also nearby.
Attractions in Chinatown:
There are plenty of cool things to discover in Chinatown. If you live here, you are close to the famous Wat Traimit, the market street Sampeng Lane, the red China Gate, the Yaowarat street and the temple Wat Mangkol Kamalawat.
+ Good connection to subway & express boats, great sights, some of the best street food in Bangkok, central station nearby, close to attractions
Best places to stay:
- Board: The Unforgotten B&B is a really cozy and nicely furnished accommodation. Everything here is spot-clean and the location is fantastic.
- Hotel: The W22 by Burasari is a really nice hotel with a great price-performance ratio. The roof terrace is also awesome!
- Hostel: The Fun Cafe and Hostel is the perfect accommodation not only for backpackers. This hostel is new, really stylish and modern and also really cheap.
Siam is a neighborhood in the New City and one of the popular areas to stay in Bangkok. Here you will find most of the large shopping centers, huge high-rise buildings, as well as mega cool hotels with a pool and roof terrace. Many of these exclusive hotels also have a sky bar, which can also be visited by non-hotel guests. Additionally, it is home to some of the city’s top attractions, such as Siam Ocean World, Jim Thompson House and some museums. Here you will find the sky train, which will take you from A to B and to many great sights and other parts of the city in no time.
Attractions in Siam:
Siam is a famous place for shopping centers, which not only serve the purpose of shopping but here you can also find restaurants and cafes and you have different options of entertainment, such as Siam Ocean World and Madame Tussauds. The most famous malls in this area are the MBK Shopping Center, Siam Center, Siam Discovery, Siam Paragon and Central World. Other interesting sights in Siam are the Art and Culture Center (BACC), the Pathum Wanaram Temple, the Erawan Shrine and the pretty Jim Thompson House.
+ best place to stay for shopping, several sights & museums, hip restaurants & cafes, easy access to public transport
Best places to stay:
- Luxury Hotel: The Siam Kempinski Hotel Bangkok is a top-class hotel! It also impresses with a beautiful pool area and a great location with direct access to the Siam Paragon Center!
- Boutique Hotel: The Daraya Boutique Hotel is a nice and new hotel in a rather quiet side street. The rooms and bathrooms are very comfortable and lovingly furnished
- Hostel: The Siam Stadium Hostel delights backpackers with its central location, delicious breakfast and clean rooms!
Tip: This city is really huge and in the center there are numerous fantastic areas to stay at. The best thing to do is to find a hotel in Bangkok that is as central as possible and easily accessible by taxi or public transport.
Find the best Accommodation in Bangkok:
More about Bangkok:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.