What to Pack for Thailand | A Perfect Packing List
You are searching for a perfect packing list for Thailand? Are you planning your vacation, and you are still a bit unsure what belongs in your backpack or suitcase? Here is a comprehensive packing list for Thailand. It will help you bring all the essentials, so you can enjoy your Thailand trip to the fullest. The packing list is not only useful, also it’s very compact to make sure you won’t bring too much unnecessary stuff with you.
The complete Thailand Packing List
Traveling through Thailand is the dream of many, and every year thousands of vacationers and backpackers are drawn to this tropical paradise. Exploring the most beautiful attractions in Thailand like Krabi, Chiang Mai, Bangkok or Koh Phangan is truly the best way to get to know the country, its people and to make new experiences. As soon as the first travel plans are made, the next questions arise. What to pack for Thailand? What are the best tips for packing? Should I take a backpack or a suitcase? Do I need warm clothes in Thailand?
We want to help you in your search for a useful Thailand packing list and are happy to provide you with ours. Depending on whether you are traveling as a backpacker or as an all-inclusive vacationer, you can change the Thailand checklist as you wish. Here are our recommendations on what to pack for Thailand!
No matter for how long, whether 3 weeks, 2 months, or even 6 months – the packing principle for a trip through Thailand is always the same. Always try packing light! We hope our packing list for Thailand will help you with your travel planning!
- Hiking Backpack for Backpacking – With the right size for Thailand
Probably one of the most important essentials for Thailand is the perfect backpack. If you do not have one yet, you should look for either a used or a new one! Here you will find a selection of good and well-priced backpacks. We recommend a backpack with at least 50 liters, it must be light but very stable. Best you check out the reviews before order!
- Travel Insurance
- ATM Card
- Credit Card
- Travel Wallet or Passport Cover – for your documents
Additionally, we recommend taking a copy of all of your important documents, such as your passport and Visa. Carry laminated copies of your passport is the best idea! Money can be changed directly at the airport and all major tourist spots. It’s always a good idea to take a certain amount of cash with you, you never know. A document storage bag can be very useful to keep an eye on your most essential things.
Our tip: Credit cards and debit cards should always be kept in 2 different locations, so if you lose one, you still have another card to use. You should do the same with your cash.
Important Travel Essentials
- Long Haul Flight Essentials
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Backpack – Really essential to protect your valuables and electrical items from moisture. Very useful for various snorkeling or kayak trips, visiting caves, or island-hopping – actually a must on any tropical packing list!
- Mosquito Net – Should always be part of a backpacker trip through Thailand (so if you are not staying in 4-5 star hotels).
- Mosquito Repellent or Mosquito Spray – It is better to buy your Mosquito Spray in Thailand
- Travel Towel (fast drying and ultralight) – take a microfiber towel that dries quickly and for saving space!
- Anti Theft Fanny Pack
- Travel Pillow or Neck Pillow
- Day Backpack or a Lightweight Backpack is a must-have for your trip! Perfect for short trips and excursions.
- Travel Purse
- Travel Plug Adapter for Thailand
- Packing Cubes – guarantee you a better overview in the backpack.
- Pocket Knife – you will need it more than you think.
- Travel Hair Dryers
- Travel Guide Book for Thailand
- Headlamp – For cave exploration, night jungle safaris, or just when electricity is off.
- Snorkel Set or Full Face Snorkel Mask – Can usually be borrowed, but those who prefer to put their own snorkel into their mouth should get one in advance.
Clothes for Thailand
What to wear in Thailand? Here is a list of the most essential clothes!
- Solid Shoes for scooter tours, hiking in a national park, or other activities where you need solid shoes
- Travel Sneakers
- Sandals or flip-flops
- Long Pants and Sweaters for the flight, for freezing aircon-bus and aircon-ferries
- Sunhat or a Cap
- Swimsuit or Bikini
- Very light Sportswear
- Laundry Detergent – For a quick wash
- Rain Poncho
Please keep in mind when packing for Thailand: less is more! Don’t take too many clothes with you. They can be cleaned for a little money in almost every accommodation. So pack only the essentials for Thailand. If there is still some space in your backpack, you have definitely done something right! As a cool addition to our Thailand packing list, check out this fantastic minimalist packing list, perfect especially if you want to travel with hand luggage only.
Tip: Much more fantastic info and tricks to pack like a pro are summarized in this travel tips guide! If you are looking for essential travel items for longer journeys, then you should absolutely read this complete guide about packing for long term travel.
Cosmetics and Medicines
Thailand has tropical temperatures, it is always hot and humid. Keep in mind that you will hardly need any makeup. Some women like to wear none during their Thailand trip! A small travel make-up kit is enough here in any case!
- Cosmetics and minimalist toiletries to travel light, such as handkerchiefs, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, razor, tampons, etc.
- Personal Medications, that have been postponed by the doctor.
- Disinfectant Spray
- Pain Killers
For cosmetics and medicines, you should individually put together your own packing list. We recommend buying everything you need in advance, as most toiletries are more expensive in Thailand.
Camera Equipment and Technic
- External Hard Drive – Important to secure your photos.
- Laptop – and please remember the charger.
- Laptop Cover
- Camera – With all the fantastic travel motifs that Thailand offers, you should not forget the camera. Everyone has their favorite one.
- Drone – check out this comprehensive camera drones reviews
- Lightweight Travel Tripod – Should have as little packing size as possible.
- Actioncam – For cool videos of your boat trips, a good underwater camera for snorkeling or a good GoPro is a must!
- Divers should not forget to take a good Dive Camera!
- Lenses for your Camera
- Camera Case
- Chargers for your Electronic Stuff (mobile phone, laptop, camera etc.)
- Memory Cards
With our camera equipment, we always pay attention to the weight and good image quality. In addition to a good camera, a travel tripod is a key to successful photos. Of course, everyone should know how extensive the camera equipment should be. For some, the cell phone is probably sufficient, others put more emphasis on travel photography. The most important thing is that you save all taken photos on an external hard drive.
You should also find out beforehand what is allowed in hand luggage and what is not – preferably directly from your airline! What about liquids, creams and drinks – are they allowed on the plane? Or questions like, can I carry a razor in the hand luggage? To avoid trouble at the airport, make sure you know all of these answers before you go.
More Travel Accessories:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.