What to Pack for Thailand | A Perfect Packing List
You are searching for an ultimate packing list for what to pack for Thailand? Are you planning your vacation and you are still a bit unsure what belongs in your backpack or suitcase? Here is a comprehensive packing list for Thailand. It will help you bring all the essentials, so you can enjoy your Thailand trip to the fullest. The packing list is not only useful, also it’s very compact to make sure you won’t bring too much unnecessary stuff with you.
A backpacking trip through Thailand is the dream of many travellers all over the world and every year thousands are drawn to this tropical paradise. Discovering Thailand off the path is truly the best way to get to know the country and to make new exciting experiences. However, as soon as the first travel plans are made up, you should ask yourself what you want to pack for Thailand.
What to Pack for Thailand – Complete Packing List
- Hiking Backpack for Backpacking – With the right size for Thailand
Probably one of the most important essentials for Thailand is the perfect backpack. If you do not have one yet, you should look for either a used or a new one! Here you will find a selection of good and well-priced backpacks. We recommend a backpack with at least 50 litres, it must be light but very stable. Best you check out the reviews before order!
- Travel Insurance (check out here, why you should buy a travel insurance!)
- ATM Card
- Credit Card
- Travel Wallet (for Documents & Passport)
Additionally, we recommend taking a copy from all of your important documents such as passport and Visa. Money can be changed directly at the airport and all major tourist spots. It’s always a good idea to take a certain amount of cash with you, you never now. A document storage bag can be very useful to keep an eye of your most important things.
Our tip: Credit card and debit card should always be kept in 2 different locations, so if you lose one you still have another card to use. You should do the same with your cash.
Clothes for Thailand
- Solid Shoes for scooter tours, hiking in national park or other activities where you need solid shoes
- Sandals or flip flops
- Long Pants and Sweaters for the flight, for freezing aircon-bus and aircon-ferries
- Sunhat or a Cap
- Swimsuit or Bikini
- Very light Sportswear
- Laundry Detergent – For a quick wash
- Rain Poncho
Don`t forget when packing for Thailand: less is more! Don`t take too much clothes with you. They can be cleaned for a little money in almost every accommodation. So pack only the essentials for Thailand. If there is still some space in your backpack, you have definitely done something right! More about can be found at “what to wear in Thailand”
Important Travel Essentials for Thailand
- Dry Bag or Waterproof Backpack: Really essential to protect your valuables and electrical items from moisture. Very useful for various snorkelling or kayak trips, visiting caves or island-hopping.
- Mosquito Net – Should always be part of a backpacker trip through Thailand (so if you are not staying in 4-5 star hotels).
- Mosquito Repellent or Mosquito Spray – It is better to buy your Mosquito Spray in Thailand
- Travel Towel Microfiber (fast drying and ultralight) – take a microfiber towel that dries quickly and for saving space!
- Travel Pillow (Neck Pillow)
- Day Backpack (Lightweight Backpack) a must have for your trip! Perfect for short trips and excursions.
- Travel Purse
- Travel Plug Adapter for Thailand
- Packing Cubes – guarantee you a better overview in the backpack.
- Pocket Knife – you will need it more than you think.
- Small Travel Hair Dryer
- Travel Guide Book for Thailand
- Headlamp – For cave exploration, night jungle safaris or just when electricity is off.
- Snorkel Set or Full Face Snorkel Mask – Can usually be borrowed, but who prefers to put their own snorkel into their mouth should get one in advance.
Cosmetics and Medicines
- Cosmetics such as handkerchiefs, toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, razor, tampons etc.
- Personal Medications, that have been postponed by the doctor.
- Disinfectant Spray
- Pain Killers
For cosmetics and medicines, you should individually put together your own packing list. We recommend buying everything you need in advance, as most toiletries are more expensive in Thailand.
Camera Equipment and Technic
- External Hard Drive – Important to secure your photos.
- Laptop – and don`t forget the charger. Here is a list of the best travel laptops!
- Laptop Cover
- Camera – With all the fantastic travel motifs that Thailand offers you should not forget the camera. Everyone has their favourite one.
- Lightwight Travel Tripod – Should have as little packing size as possible.
- Actioncam – For cool videos of your snorkelling trips, water sports, elephant feeding and bathing etc.
- Divers should not forget to take a good Dive Camera!
- Lenses for your Camera
- Camera Case
- Lens Filter
- Chargers for your Electronic Stuff (mobile phone, laptop, camera etc.)
- Memory Cards
With our camera equipment, we always pay attention to the weight and good image quality. In addition to a good camera, a travel tripod is the alpha and omega for successful photos. Of course, everyone should know how extensive the camera equipment should be. For some, the cell phone is probably sufficient, others put more emphasis on travel photography. The most important thing is that you save all taken photos on an external hard drive.
We hope our list for what to pack for Thailand is now complete and will help you plan your trip!
More Travel Accessouirs:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.