Where to Stay in Santorini: 7 Best Areas & Hotels!
The many fantastic places to stay in Santorini offer the best conditions for an unforgettable vacation on the dream island. From hotels with private pools and boutique hotels right on the sea, to charming guesthouses, great vacation apartments and legendary cave hotels, there is something for everyone. In addition, there are a number of charming holiday resorts on Santorini. Some are ideal for couples and those searching for peace and quiet, others are for those who prefer nightlife, and still others are more suitable for families with children. Each area of Santorini is different and has its own advantages. Many choose to stay in the capital, Fira, or in the famous Oia, but those who prefer to stay on the beach in Santorini will find plenty of beach hotels on the eastern and southern coasts of the island. For this very reason, it is not always easy to find both the perfect Santorini accommodation and the optimal location for your stay.
This guide is all about where to stay in Santorini in Greece. In addition, we show you the most beautiful tourist resorts and the best areas to stay on the island. There are also plenty of useful recommendations and hotel tips to help you plan your trip!
The village of Oia, with its 500 inhabitants, is the most popular place to stay in Santorini. Here you will be staying in the place that is considered to be the landmark of the island, and you can see it on every postcard. The imposing location on the edge of the crater is simply spectacular, with the Cycladic architecture and iconic blue and white buildings forming a stunning backdrop. The cinematic sunsets that can be experienced there are also legendary. Moreover, visitors will find a wide variety of upscale boutiques, art galleries and first class restaurants on a stroll through the center and along the famous Nikolaou Nomikou alley. The alleys of the old town are bustling at all hours of the day. However, you’ll enjoy an exclusive, tranquil ambience away from the hustle and bustle in most of the hotels. Oia is also home to some of Santorini’s most extraordinary accommodations, including truly luxurious hotels. Many of them even have their own private pool with a panoramic view.
Oia is particularly popular with couples and honeymooners planning a romantic and luxurious getaway to Santorini. Here you have the opportunity to enjoy the highlight of the island of Santorini directly from the hotel or from the viewpoints of the town. In addition, many travelers choose to stay here specifically to take the best photos of Santorini.
Best Accommodations & Hotels:
- Perfect Dream Hotel: The beautiful Aspaki by Art Maison offers its guests the best views of Santorini, and is also a famous Instagram spot for taking photos.
- Luxury Suites: The Echoes Luxury Suites are in a stunning location. The rooms are simply gorgeous. They have their own pool and the views are also top-notch.
- Beautiful Villas: The Onar Villas offers exclusive pool and cave-style accommodations. Guests love the tranquil location, and the views of the ocean are brilliant as well.
The capital city of Fira is one of the most popular places to stay on Santorini. The charming port town is situated right on the edge of the 300-meter-high caldera and offers a wealth of attractions, such as the charming old town, the archaeological museum, the old port and numerous spectacular viewpoints. With many excellent taverns and boutiques, the lively center attracts tourists from all over the world. In addition, Fira is famous for its lively nightlife and party scene. A real plus point is that the ferry port is very close to the village. This makes Fira the perfect choice for those of you who are planning to do some island hopping and may only be able to spend a day or so on Santorini. Moreover, the capital is an ideal starting point for day trips. By bus, rental car or quad, you can easily explore the most wonderful beaches and attractions of Santorini.
Fira offers a wide range of accommodation to suit all tastes and budgets. From very luxurious hotels and exclusive resorts to cheaper accommodations and small hotels, there are many suitable options. Most of the accommodations are less expensive than in Oia, but they are still a bit pricier than in the smaller towns.
Best Accommodation & Hotels:
- Fancy Cave Hotel: The Iriana Suites has gorgeous rooms, many of which are decorated in a cave style! Unique are the breathtaking views of the sea and the sunsets.
- Fantastic Hotel: The Limestone is a great choice for a special getaway in Santorini! It is in a great location, the breakfast is exceptional, and the views are also top-notch.
- Beautiful Suites: The Aroma Suites has stunning rooms and suites in a wonderful location. This property is located next to a charming church overlooking the caldera!
The breathtaking resort of Kamari is definitely the best choice for a stay in Santorini, especially if you are planning a beach vacation. The village is located on the east coast of the island and particularly couples, families with children and the elderly will find their personal holiday paradise here! Kamari Beach is certainly one of the most beautiful beaches in Santorini. It has a stunning scenery where the rocks of Mesa Vouno, the black pebbles and the turquoise sea of the Aegean create a picturesque postcard atmosphere. The beach promenade is also fantastic, with many wonderful shops, restaurants, taverns, and cafés to enjoy and stroll around. Compared to the busy main towns of Fira and Oia, Kamari is quieter and prices are much lower. It also has good public transport, and you can easily explore other parts of the island by bus, quad or rental car.
Kamari offers a wide range of excellent accommodation, including some cheap hotels, charming guesthouses, but also some nice resorts with pools. Many of the best hotels are right on the beach or just a short walk from the sea. Perfect if you are searching for a place to stay in Santorini near the beach.
Best Accommodation & Hotels:
- Beautiful Beachfront Hotel: The Santorini Crystal Blue is a small boutique hotel right on the beach. The pool and the typical Cycladic style are stunning as well.
- Fantastic 3-Star Hotel: Simply brilliant is the Hotel Matina, a charming and reasonably priced hotel with a pool, a delicious breakfast and only a short distance from the beach.
- Chic Aparthotel: The Mountain and Sea Suites is a beautiful aparthotel. It is only a 5-minute walk from the beach. Guests love the service, pool, and breakfast.
Located between Fira and Oia, high on the cliffs, the charming village of Imerovigli offers spectacular views of the sea, far away from the hustle and bustle of the main resorts. Known for its unique accommodations, this area of Santorini is a perfect choice for couples or travelers looking to relax in one of the gorgeous hotels. In fact, in Imerovigli you will find many exclusive cave hotels as well as luxury villas built right into the cliffs with phenomenal views of the caldera. Most of the places to stay also have private pools or jacuzzis. In addition, the picturesque alleys, white houses with blue domes and the tranquil atmosphere create an extremely romantic setting. A stroll through this traditional village is a marvel of splendid architecture and a magical Santorini experience away from the crowds.
The village of Imerovigli is home to numerous beautiful sights. One landmark is Skaros Rock, an imposing rock that was once the site of a medieval settlement and now dominates the coastal landscape. In addition, there is a breathtaking hiking trail that leads along the cliffs to Oia.
Best Accommodation & Hotels:
- Fantastic Hotel: The Honeymoon Petra Villas is a fantastic hotel for a special stay. It has an incredible location and unique views!
- Small Boutique Hotel: The Stella Rocca A Mare offers chic design, gorgeous rooms, a great pool, and a wonderful breakfast.
- Magnificent 4-Star Hotel: The Altana Heritage Suites is a gorgeous 4-star hotel in a prime location. Some of the rooms even have a private pool.
The charming seaside resort of Perissa is located on the southeast coast of Santorini and is a true gem for a dreamy and inexpensive vacation by the sea. It is well-known for its long black sandy beach, which is perfect for relaxing and sunbathing. The entire coastline is well organized and offers a variety of beach bars and water sports. Here you can unwind and enjoy one of the most gorgeous beaches on the island. Families with children will also appreciate this charming resort. The area is not as touristy as the main towns on the island, but still has all the amenities you need for a wonderful vacation. In addition, the selection of good and affordable places to stay is phenomenal. Many of the hotels are in prime beachfront locations, some even have swimming pools, while others offer chic interiors and the best in hospitality.
Perissa is well served by public transportation and has regular bus service to other parts of the island. You can also rent a car or a quad bike locally and explore the best sights and attractions of Santorini.
Best Accommodation & Hotels:
- Charming Adults Only Hotel: The Kouros Village Hotel is a gorgeous and stylish adults-only hotel. It is also only a 2-minute walk to the beach from the hotel.
- Brilliant Vacation Apartment: The beautiful apartments of Sunhaus are located right on the beach and are definitely a great place to stay for a dream vacation.
- Great 4-Star Hotel: The Stelios Place is a very well maintained 4-star hotel. Guests love the pool, the beautiful grounds and the perfect location near the beach.
The charming area around Akrotiri is particularly popular with the more individual traveler. It is located in the southwest of Santorini and offers many spectacular sights as well as beautiful beaches. In addition, you will still be able to enjoy the traditional village life right in the charming old town. Akrotiri is most famous for its archaeological site, known as the “Pompeii of the Greeks” , which is one of the main attractions of the island. But the coastline is also very beautiful with its picturesque natural bays and coves. One of them is the iconic Red Beach, an impressive pebble beach with imposing red rocks and turquoise waters that is one of the highlights of Santorini and captivates visitors from all over the world. The fascinating White Beach is also located in this area of the island.
Akrotiri is well known for its tranquil surroundings. Many of the accommodations are somewhat secluded. This makes it an ideal place to get away from the hustle and bustle and enjoy the natural beauty of the island. Akrotiri is the perfect place to stay if you like to go on excursions and explore the most amazing attractions of the island by car or quad.
Best Accommodation & Hotels:
- Fantastic Hotel with Pool: The Apanemo Hotel & Suites is a truly fantastic hotel. It spoils its guests with a gorgeous pool and stunning views of Santorini’s caldera!
- Breathtaking 5-Star Hotel: The Melidonia Suites is a real insider’s tip for a special stay in Santorini. The hotel’s villas are absolutely stunning, and the sea views are unbeatable.
- Fantastic Boutique Hotel with Pool: The charming Absolute Paradise Santorini is a small, very fine boutique hotel. Guests love the pool and the incredible ambiance.
Find the best accommodation in Santorini:
More about Greece:
Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links. Meaning that if you click on certain links, and then subsequently purchase a product, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.